Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Believe in God? Oh, I don't think so.

I just found out late this afternoon that I guy I've known for almost ten years died on Saturday after developing a blood clot during routine elective surgery on his knee. Greg was a phenomenally good, gentle and kind man, who never spoke ill of others. Honestly. He always had a ready smile and an engaging story. He and I would toss jokes to one another, never letting go entirely of our days in stand-up comedy, comrades. And because he wasn't around every day, it was always a pleasure when he did show up at the gym or when he hosted fight nights, and his friends at Five Points Fitness, and from well before, will miss him.

Greg leaves behind his wife and their two children. He was 41 years old.


Meanwhile, Tom DeLay and Dick Cheney still walk upon the earth.

And THAT is why I don't believe in God. Or at least, a just God. This one, I think, is on the take.


Addendum: I guess this is another one of those moments when one has to take stock and remember that each day is important in its own way.