Monday, June 27, 2005

"Straight up, now tell me. Are you going

to ooze pus forever? Oh oh oh, or are you just having fun...gus?"

Abdul Urges Tough Nail Salon Standards

By GARANCE BURKE

SAN FRANCISCO - Singer Paula Abdul's testimony Monday about a flesh-eating fungus that landed her in the emergency room gave a state Senate committee a new perspective on legislation aimed at getting nail salons to clean up their act.

Abdul, who is also a judge on "American Idol," said a trip in April 2004 to a Studio City nail shop that used unclean manicure equipment became a yearlong ordeal that sent her in and out of the hospital, and made her the butt of late-night talk show jokes.

"What I saw fly out of my thumb was a green and yellow thick substance that smelt foul, and then blood, blood, blood," Abdul told the California Senate Business and Professions Committee in Sacramento. "Being a professional dancer, I'm no stranger to pain, but this time the pain was so excruciating that even my hair touching my thumb caused me to scream."

(snip)

I think that is just a wee bit more information about Paula Abdul than I needed to know.