Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Welcome to Gilead.

"Pre-pregnant"? What's next, thoughtcrimes? Atrios posted this last night and my brother emailed me the WaPo article, but I was so immediately outraged that I didn't read the "story" in its entirety.

We're watching out for your uterus.

I'm waiting for the government to criminalize wearing heels because it might put too much strain on my lower back, thus damaging my child-bearing potential.

What infuriates me even more is the "article" is nothing more than an advertisement for this Orwellian, Atwoodian program. I am all for promoting a healthy lifestyle, but framing the argument around women's fertility is nothing more than an invasion of women's rights over their own bodies. Do men get lectured by their doctors for eating a high-cholesterol diet that might inhibit their ability to get it up? (Yes, I listened to the new Levitra ad.) Do men get chastised by the government for going out drinking with their buddies?

No, men get their woody pills covered by their health insurance, while women have to pay out-of-pocket for birth control.

Let me know when I lose my right to vote. I suspect that's on the agenda.