Friday, June 30, 2006

Like frogs over a slow boil.

Senators on Capitol Hill are already moving to undercut yesterday's Supreme Court ruling that military tribunals being held at Guantanamo Bay are illegal . . . .
. . .

In a joint statement, Republican Senators Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Jon Kyl of Arizona, noting Breyer’s opinion, declared their intention to “pursue legislation in the Senate granting the Executive Branch the authority to ensure that terrorists can be tried by competent military commissions.”


Just want to make sure I'm on the right page here. Graham and Kyl want to pursue legislation gutting a SCOTUS decision that states that George W. Bush is not omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient. A decision that tries to reestablish the separation of powers set forth in the Constitution. A decision that reinforces the notion that international treaties trump power grabs by the Executive branch.

So you think you can curry favor by playing "courtier" to this scabrous bunch of anti-constititutionalists? WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! You are now full-fledged idolators in the Bush cargo cult, bowing before graven images of people who would just as soon see the Legislative branch eliminated, along with the Judiciary. But you're just too fucking mentally myopic to think that far ahead. Either that or Karl Rove has some really incriminating photographs of you and barnyard animals or male prostitutes. Or both.

How soon before you introduce legislation pulling out of the Geneva Conventions? Reinstating Jim Crow laws? Bonfires of books? You stupid, stupid, stupid locksteppers.

Y'know, Messirs Graham and Kyl, I'd like to remind you of the words of a guy you probably never heard of -- Pastor Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

full story here.

UPDATE: I see The Rude Pundit and I are grappling with the same ideas. His is a more . . . graphic . . . take on the matter.