Thursday, November 02, 2006

Laura Bush, Professional Scold

"The right to have these conversations is part of what makes our country great and our democracy strong. We must be mindful that people around the world are listening to these discussions," Laura Bush said at a suburban Columbus recreation center during a campaign appearance with Rep. Deborah Pryce.

"Responsible candidates understand that the men and women of our military are risking their lives for us, and that we must conduct our debate here at home in a way that does not jeopardize our troops in harm's way," she said, calling for "conversations conducted with civility and respect."


Come on, Laura, lover of words. Tell me what is so civil about calling me a traitor or a terrorist-lover because I disagree with your husband's "through the looking glass" vision of the world. Tell me what is so "civil" about equating Democrats with Osama bin Laden.

Tell me why I should maintain a "civil discourse" when I see Rush Limbaugh, the Old Faithful of Hate Speech, conduct an interview with the President in an ongoing pantomime to distract from your husband's calamitous, never-ending war, but ex-marine and law student Mike Stark gets thrown against a plate glass window for asking a single question of his state's Senator?

Tell me, Mrs. Bush, why I should be civil when every move your husband and his enablers have made have been calculated to enrich themselves and their "base" and to starve the middle and working class?

Tell me, oh Librarian Laura, why I should be civil when you, of all people, warn in code that I should express my opinion "carefully"?

Tell me, Bibliophile Barbie, why I should be silent when your husband rushes to eliminate huge chunks of our Constitution because they limit what he considers his anointed powers as President?

Tell me, Laura. How the hell do you live with yourself? Or are you just as consciously blind as your husband?

More here.